Coastal Cleanup Day (CCD) is an annual waterway and land cleanup held on the third Saturday of September. It’s California’s largest volunteer event and brings community awareness to cleaning up and protecting our marine environment.
Cleanups are held all over San Mateo County at beaches, creeks, waterways, parks and neighborhoods. This family-friendly event is a great opportunity to educate residents about litter and how to stop it from ending up in our local streets and waterways.
How Do I Volunteer?
When: Saturday, September 16, 2017 Saturday – 9:00am to 12:00pm
Where: Over 30 sites throughout the Peninsula – see list of sites below by City.
Prepare for the event:
- Waiver Forms – Every participant is required to sign a waiver form. To make your check in faster, print, sign and bring the following waiver form with you on the day of the event. All volunteers under the age of 18 must have the waiver form signed by a parent or legal guardian before participating in a cleanup.
- Bring/Wear – Your own buckets, gloves, and reusable water bottle. Help reduce our overall footprint during the event! Wear comfortable closed-toe shoes and bring sunscreen or a hat.
- Day Of – Listen to the safety orientation, have fun and be safe! Post your photos with the hashtag #CCDSMC and tag @SMCHealth so we can share them on Facebook and Twitter.
Volunteers can pre-register or register at sites the day of the cleanup. If you are a large group, please contact the site captain first.
Sites marked in green are in most need of volunteers.
Updated: August 1, 2017
Special Thank Yous
Thank you to our 2017 Statewide and Local Partners!
- California Coastal Commission
- California Department of Boating & Waterways
- California State Parks
- City of Belmont
- City of Brisbane
- City of Burlingame
- City of East Palo Alto
- City of Foster City
- City of Menlo Park
- City of Millbrae
- City of Redwood City
- City of San Mateo
- City of South San Francisco
- Coastside Land Trust
- Crystal Geyser
- Friends of Bedwell Bayfront Park
- Friends of Fitzgerald Marine Reserve
- Grassroots Ecology
- Marina Lagoon Action Committee
- Marine Science Institute
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Ocean Conservancy
- Orchard Supply Hardware
- Pacifica Beach Coalition
- Redwood City Pride and Beautification Committee
- San Bruno Beautification Task Force
- San Gregorio Environmental Resource Center
- San Mateo County Department of Parks
- San Mateo County Department of Public Works
- San Mateo County Harbor District
- Save Our Shores
- Sequoia Yacht Club
- Surfrider Foundation
- TLC Locals