- Fifty to sixty percent of residential water use in the western United States is devoted to lawn irrigation?
- The average monthly maintenance cost (water and mowing) ranges from $80 to $130 per month? Gas lawn mowers emit 10 to 12 times the CO2 as the average midsize automobile? Ten times as much synthetic fertilizer is applied to residential lawns as farmland?
- Water is our most precious natural resource, so it’s important to think of smart ways to conserve water every day. Use a broom, not a hose or gasoline-powered blower, to clean your driveway or sidewalk.
- Analyze your Energy Efficiency
- Take the Energy Star Pledge
- California Solar Initiative
- Energy Ambassador Program
- Stop Junk Mail
- Californians Against Waste
Some interesting sites featuring California native plants (with photos) that are drought tolerant:
The City of Burlingame is bordered by two major highways and adjacent to San Francisco International Airport. We all need to do our share to help keep our air clean. How about walking or public transportation? Don’t think big, but small. Start with small steps by encouraging co-workers, friends, and family to be aware of their carbon footprint and its impact on the environment.
- Burlingame Climate Action Plan
- Check out our Air Quality
- Calculate your Carbon Footprint
- Green Your Commute
- Burlingame Bike Map
- Take the Train (CalTrain)
- Try the Bus (SamTrans)
- Free Burlingame Trolley & Shuttle
- Plan your trip with the comprehensive trip planner on 511.org.
Depending on where you’re going, public transit may be a practical, relaxing, cost-saving option. Can you get from here to there on transit? The quickest way to check is Google Transit.